Saturday, July 08, 2006

The difficulties of portraying superhuman and genuinely alien intelligences in fiction continue to preoccupy me, no doubt about it, it's a hard problem, but one I think it's worth paying attention to & not just because it's a situation we're likely to be dealing with in the near future, confrontations (& sometimes friendly get togethers) between humans and genuinely incomprehensible situations & actors have been on the upswing for some time now, it's time to get serious about it. One step toward getting this on the road is to get it through the thick head of our popular culture that if the aliens invade, we are going to lose & big time. Incomprehensibilty, inevitable defeat, you can see why this stuff appeals to me.

OK, need to go get some work done, pack, put some oil in my car & get rolling. Where I'm going, the computer networks are pretty much made of sticks & twine, so I'll talk to you when I talk to you.

No comments: