Wednesday, July 12, 2006

10:44 pm, 7/10

Took a bath, looked at the deep orange full moon, did a couple more drawings, a little automatic writing, had a coke. Have a little bit of a sunburn, should probably actually use sunscreen no matter how much I hate it.

It was very strange at Otter Point earlier, heavy fog just a short way from shore, extremely bright sun directly overhead, there was so much glare off the fog it was extremely hard to look at, but so diffuse it didn't seem like glare at all, maybe it's called something else in those circumstances?

New Jerseyites who cut in front of me in line at the lobster pound were discussing their recent sales tax increase, Hubby #1 was telling the wives how the Times was calling it a 17% increase because it went from 6 cents to 7 cents, no, 6% to 7%, said Hubby #2, wives wanted to know if it was 7% or 17%, Hubby #2 explained that 1% was 1/6 of 6% or about a 16% increase, I was glad when they were gone.

Finished my children's book, might go back to reading 'Dhalgren', but kind of wish I just had another children's book.

4:53 pm,7/11

Low key day, went around & did not much of anything, dogs seemed to have fun, spent a little time shopping for trinkets to bring people, didn't find much of anything. Was going to go for a late afternoon swim, but it looks like rain, so maybe not.

Feel like vacation is already over, still a ways to go really, my sense of time is very unpleasantly & non-consensually fucked.

8:36 pm, 7/11

Went out with my mom to bookstore while my dad napped, got a Vernor Vinge book, she got some notecards and a map. Downpour started while we were in there, we both got pretty wet looking at a waterfall. Went by the Southwest Harbor P.O. to mail some postcards she'd written, I had to kind of hunch over them while putting them in the mailbox to keep the ink from running, then went to get coffee & cookies, then a takeout pizza from a bakery/pizza place. Detachedly jealous of the fresh-faced, sporty, all-American kids who came in in a happy, Patagonia-clad group, made me wish I'd thought of having some clam chowder & beer as well. The pizza guy burned his first attempt at making us a pizza while chatting up one of the sporty sweet young things, and when a woman who worked there gave me a complimentary cookie for the inconvenience, she asked me if she'd seen me at the bookstore earlier and I said, 'what, the anarcho-luddite bookstore around the corner?' and she said 'I work there' as though I'd said something mildly offensive. Pretty sure it is an anarcho-luddite bookstore, maybe she thought I was against that sort of thing? Just so you know, I'm not, in fact if there's any remote collectivist encampments in need of a sysadmin with more than 15 years experience in the systematic critique of technological society, drop me a line (not if there's yeast cheese involved, definitely yes if you make either goat or sheep milk cheese, anyway let me know). Singularity is coming, shall we do something fun before?

10:41 pm, 7/11

Was just drinking Vinho Verde with my mom, eating crostini, feeding some to dogs, dogs also chewing contentedly on marrow bones, ended badly with Peretz spotting giant moth on outside of glass sliding door (~5" wingspan) & going completely fucking bananas trying to get at it, getting him back to my cabin was a bit of a challenge.

Earlier uploaded vacation snaps to my computer, will put them up on Flickr or some such at some point when I am no longer in the outer darkness. Even without internet, laptop is pretty alright, listening to Phil Ochs, once everybody gets one, we'll take over, OK?

8:04 am, 7/12

Woke up with tiny itchy sores on the tips of my right middle finger & toe, probably my mystical body trying to emerge. P didn't start trying to wake me up as early as usual for this trip, probably because it's overcast & parents & their dogs wake with the sun. Got dressed to the sounds of 'Alone Again/Or' pouring from my mischievous laptop, who will feel better at the days end? Not me, my friend, not me. Drinking cold coffee, a cold comfort, ah well, life rolls merrily along.

1:26 pm, 7/12

Hash and eggs, bought art supplies salt water taffy & souvenirs, snapshots on the rockbound coast, bought rare books, picked up stuff for a picnic later, after swimming. Can't spend too long writing or the tour director will get upset. Dinner at my mom's friend Jane's house later, hopefully will be mostly bearable. Hope to get swimming in before the forecasted thunderstorms. I am a being of pure light, so don't look for too long.

4:24 pm, 7/12

Pepper jumped out of rv, landing on my sandaled foot & I screamed like a little girl being set alight by her crazy uncle. Still kind of hurts, somehow didn't break the skin.

No comments: