Saturday, May 06, 2006

Just went to look at some art, first at Eastworks where it was "Gallery Night," but apart from the show at Peanut, which, of course, rocks, but which I had already had a pretty thorough look at, the stuff on display was, to put it charitably, pretty uninteresting. Then I went to Flywheel to see "Psychantasy" which was colored pencil drawings of fairies and distressed looking people in allegorical situations. While the artist is an art therapist and the work suffered from the impoverished view of the human situation typical of the psychotherapeutic movement, some of the drawings were quite striking, especially the one with a baby doll like figure emerging from a gaping wound in a woman's shoulder. There were also some interesting effects achieved with glitter. You can look at some of this stuff online here, sadly I can't offer any hope of good glitter effects.

Overheard there, approximately:

Middle aged woman: You should publish these in a book...
Artist: Do you really think so?
Middle aged woman: Oh, yes, many of these images are very powerful.
Artist: It's my dream, but I don't know how. Who would publish them?
Middle aged man: It would be cheaper to print them yourself, do you have a printer?
Artist: It's always been my dream to have them printed in a book, each with a poem...
Middle aged woman: Well, then, you should write a poem for each one...
Artist: I already have so many poems...
Middle aged man: You would have to scan them in, could someone show you?
Artist: Most of them have already been scanned into the computer.
Middle aged man: Then you could just print them out.
Artist: It's my dream, it's my dream...

Almost started crying on the drive home, "I could be in love with almost everyone" indeed.

No comments: