Thursday, October 19, 2006

Just back from a longish walk with Peretz, fed him breakfast, having more coffee.

In addition to having pores, that is to say there being flows between self and nonself, my concept of self appears to be fractal in nature, that is, at any point in the space over which the concept ranges (i.e., the world) its being part of myself is indeterminate prior to actual investigation, there are edges everywhere. These porous edges are further characterized by a certain fogginess, with large zones of undecidability on either side. There appears to be a zone of greater density of applicability in the proximity of my organism, but even were the 'concept' merely fractal, this would be indeterminable as fact given finite time, as things are, the matter is quite hopeless. As I say, I don't think this is in any way peculiar to me and think that anyone who gives the matter much thought will tend to have similar findings. It's sort of troubling to have a concept with these qualities so central to thinking about things, though I suppose it could be useful as an easy means of generating aporias, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

No comments: